I have no idea if the internet has created such a thing as this. I suspect so. If everything goes well, I'd like to read this again when I am 50.
Here are 30 thoughts/facts on my 30th birthday.
1. I still don't feel like an "adult," but after yesterday's fantastic party, I definitely feel like it's actually my birthday.
2. I have a pair of jeans that I bought when I was 17 and worked at Meijer that still fit and I still wear, even though they are risqué and lace up the sides.
3. It's about 72 today here in Brasil and I am a bit cold.
4. I love to eat sushi and would eat it everyday. Salmon and tuna, mmmmmmm. Seaweed, mmmmm.
5. After living in Brasil for six years, I have reprioritized what I feel is a want and a need, just in time for things to arrive in Salvador that we have not had access to.
6. I still like to wear miniskirts because I think my legs look good, but I don't like how my butt touches where ever I sit down.
7. I love doing waterbike. It is the best exercise and I think everyone should try it. I feel like it is what has gotten my asthma under control and helped me destress over the last two years. Plus I have muscles in places I haven't ever seen them before.
8. I used to only wear tall platform shoes and now I prefer flipflops. It has been so long since I wore regular shoes that touch my heels that nearly every time I wear them, I end up with blisters no matter what the shoe.
9. Someday I want to have a small house on a decent piece of land in Chapada, where I would have a garden, orchard, and some goats for milk.
10. I love to sew and am determined to make all my own clothes from now on, either from fabric or adapting used things to my liking. A friend said "you are all kinds of cool at 30, sewing up a storm" - I loved this statement.
11. Yesterday we had the best party here, by far the most fun adult birthday party I have ever had. I credit my wonderful friends and spectacular husband for making it happen. I certainly didn't do much ;).
12. Doing art with Ju is a great way to spend an afternoon.
13. Three cats in one house is definitely enough cats. Ducey, Pila and Lela have amazingly different felinalities and contribute to a well balanced household.
14. Machines I cannot part with - my laptop, my camera, my sewing machine, my ipod.
15. I have known and loved my husband for eight years and he is the best man I have ever been with.
16. I absolutely must drink a cup of coffee in the morning or I just feel like I am coming down with something all day.
17. My favorite thing to eat is a honey crisp apple, even though we don't have them in Brasil and I rarely find them in MI when we go.
18. I love teaching little kids. They are so interested in everything, everything is exciting...
19. This year's world cup has ignited a real love for watching soccer that I never knew I had. Brasil is infectious, yes, but there must be more to it.
20. I believe in the Destination Imagination program. It should be made part of every school curriculum in a major way.
21. When I eat apples in Brasil, if they are really good, I eat the whole thing and leave only the stem.
22. I spend too much time reading craft/art/DIY blogs and such online, being inspired by what I see, but rarely getting up off my butt to do what I read about. (But I'd really like to)
23. My kid is bilingual. Our whole house is bilingual. We mix English and Portuguese in every sentence every day. I still would love to study our language habits. (and it has been hard to not write Portuguese words into many of these list items)
24. Being a Quaker is a huge part of who I am, even though it seems like it's such an unknown fact in my life and where I am.
25. I often fall asleep 8:30 at night, wake up at like 11 and stay up until 12:30, then go to bed again. I am pretty sure this is not conducive to health.
26. I only wear glasses because it feels like too much time to go have my eyes examined and get contacts here in Brasil. I wish things weren't so far apart and complicated down here.
27. I miss having pink hair, but feel like it wouldn't go over well down here.
28. If I could do any job, it would be creating window layouts like those in Macy's in NYC. So cool! I would also enjoy making theater or movie sets. Or maybe those big scenes behind glass you see in museums.
29. A perfect lunch is a big salad of baby spinach and spring greens that has salmon, mandarin oranges, chopped walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese. At least, that is what I feel like eating at the moment.
30. I love my friends, even though we hardly see each other. I have no idea where I would be without internet.